Dear MRTA MEMBERS:
The 2014 MRTA Legislative Platform calls for full funding of the Public School Foundation Formula. As of the writing of this e-mail, the current Formula is underfunded by at least $600 million.
Once again, the Legislature has enacted a tax cut in the amount of $625 to $800 million per year. There is little doubt, this will devastate public school funding and there are no guarantees the public schools will be funded even though some legislators say they will make sure it is funded. The Legislature has not fully funded the Foundation Formula since 2006. Today Governor Nixon vetoed SB 509. (Click here for Nixon's veto announcement). The Legislature will attempt to override this veto before the end of session on May 16th at 6:00 P.M.
Please contact your State Senator first, then your State Representative, asking them to vote NO on the motion to override the Governor's veto of SB 509. (Click here for the Coalition for Missouri's Future's Top Reasons SB 509 is Bad for the State). THANK YOU!
THE WORLD IS RUN BY THOSE WHO SHOW UP!
REASONS TO KILL SB 509
- Missouri is already 45th in the nation regarding state taxes. Only 5 states are lower. Missouri is rated 16th in the nation for a friendly business climate.
- The Legislature, to date, owes the Missouri Public Schools Formula more than $600 million. Rural school districts greatly depend on this formula money! If SB 509 becomes law, the schools are not likely to ever be fully funded and likely to receive more cuts.
- Missouri already has the "Hancock" amendment in the Constitution that does not allow a windfall of state revenues and requires refunds if that revenue level is reached. This happened in 1997.
- Missouri also has a Constitutional amendment that does not allow the Legislature to raise taxes without a vote of the people. They can cut taxes but they cannot raise taxes. The Kansas legislature cut taxes a few years ago and now, after almost bankrupting the state and public education, they are working to raise revenues for public education. The Missouri Legislature would be prohibited by law to correct any revenue needs.
- The bill is flawed and not clear. (Click here for Missouri School Board's Analysis).
- Missouri has never wanted to be like Kansas!
SUGGESTED LETTER (copy and paste)
Dear Senator XXX or Representative XXX
As a voter, taxpayer, and MRTA member in your district, please vote NO on the motion to override the Governor's veto of SB 509. It is my belief that SB 509 would be devastating to public school funding. (PUT YOUR COMMENTS HERE OR PICK A REASON OR TWO FROM ABOVE). I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your public service.
DO NOT KNOW WHO YOUR SENATOR OR STATE REPRESENTATIVE IS?
Follow these steps:
- Go to the MRTA website www.mrta.org
- Go to LEGISLATOR LOOKUP
- Type in your zip code then home address.
- If that does not work call your County Clerk.
NEED E-MAIL ADDRESS of your Senator (click here) or for your
State Representative (click here)?